Make this delicious Cajun seafood dip in a slow cooker ahead of the party! I created this recipe for a Cajun Christmas party and it completely disappeared (with rave reviews) — so I made it again for Christmas dinner as an appetizer and you guessed it, it was gobbled up. This recipe makes a lot, so halfsies unless you plan on sharing, or wearing some seriously stretchy pants.
What you need:
- 16 oz. bag spinach frozen chopped
- ½ + ¼ cup butter
- (2) 6 oz cans of fancy lump crabmeat
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, regular
- 1 lb frozen crawfish, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Cream cheese, cubed
- 1 bunch scallions chopped
- ½ pint sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ small onion
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspooon Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
What you do:
- Microwave spinach according to package directions.
- Drain liquid and set aside.
- Melt butter in medium skillet.
- Add crabmeat to butter and sauté 3 minutes over medium heat, careful not to break up crabmeat too much.
- Add scallions, onion and mushroom and flour. Saute for 3 – 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Put remaining ingredients into slow cooker.
- Add crab and vegetable sauté.
- Adjust seasonings to taste (I go heavy on the garlic!)
- Warm on low in slow cooker for 4 – 6 hours.
Serve with tortilla chips, but not those thin ones. Get the kind that will hold up your guacamole!