If you read my recent interview with Stephanie Hollman, you’ll know that we were talking about the holidays. Well, egg nog and the holidays. Seems we both have a shared appreciation for the egg drinks this time of year. She is responsible for me craving her recipe for “Thin Mint Egg Nog,” and I was really dying to try it. Sadly, when her assistant sent me the recipe, it was missing a few things (like eggs, lol) so I filled in the gaps and made this yummy version. I’m sure she won’t mind. So together, I give you my and Stephanie’s Minty Chocolate (aka “Thin Mint”)Egg Nog recipe. I cooked it, so no worries about salmonella. 😉
Here’s what you need:
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pink of whole milk
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 white creme de cacao
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
Here’s what you do:
- Separate your eggs.
- Beat the egg yolks until they are light.
- Add the 1/3 cup of sugar and mix until dissolved.
- In a medium pan, heat milk, cream, and nutmeg over medium to high heat just to a boil. Keep an eye on it!
- Remove from the heat and gradually, slowly, pour it egg mixture while stirring.
- Return to pot and continue cooking until it reaches 160 degrees.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the liquors.
- Chill mixture.
- In separate bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- While mixer is running, slowly add the remaining tablespoon of sugar and beat until peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the chilled mixture.
- Rim your glasses, pour and enjoy!
Here’s a version you can print out:
Cheers! I hope you and your family have a fantastic holiday season!