We all KNOW that we should drink more water—in fact, about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women and about 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men according to The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. THAT’S A LOT OF WATER. I need an incentive.
Water makes up about 60 percent of our body weight. Our cells, tissues, and organs all need it to survive. That’s NOT enough incentive for me.
There are so many benefits of drinking plenty of water—probably too many to mention—but here are several:
- It keeps your temperature normal
- It lubricates and cushions your joints
- It protects sensitive tissues
- It gets rid of wastes through urination, perspiration and bowel movements
- It can help your moods and reduce stress
- It can help your sleep pattern
- It can assist in weight control
- It assists in your ability to think
- It helps your skin’s elasticity and wrinkles
I”m getting there, but I still need more.
Lack of water can lead to dehydration and a host of other problems including:
- Energy drain, tiredness/sluggishness
- Poor kidney function and kidney stones
- Increased risk of stroke
- Increased irritability
- Increased feelings of hunger
- Your metabolism can tank
- Skin problems
- Your heart has to work harder
Okay, that’s definitely a good list of reasons to hydrate, yes? Since we lose water through daily bodily functions like breathing, perspiration, urine and bowel movements (ahem), it’s essential that we replenish our water supply. But what if you hate the taste of water? I feel you!
Seriously, I hear this SO MUCH. Personally, I need mine to taste like it’s straight from the arctic cold. I bow down to those of you who add fresh or frozen fruit to their water to make it taste better, but I’m too lazy to do that. I’ve tried carrying around a double-walled thermal type container but lazy me always wins out. They’re too difficult to clean, rust around the lip, easily dent (because I drop everything), and the pretty designs eventually scrape off. And the water tastes a little off.
Plastic water bottles are super convenient but are not necessarily BPA-free. If you don’t recycle them, they just add more waste into landfills and that hurts my heart. Honestly, half the time the water just tastes like tap water or worse. Now Voss water in glass bottles is the bombdiggity, but they are too expensive and breakable.
I’ve wasted $$$ on those cheap fun water bottles but our relationships were so fleeting until I found out my bkr!
Founded by Tal Winter and Kate Cutler (a woman-owned company), “bkr is the antidote to cheap, disposable plastic bottles.”
What I love about bkr water bottles:
- Pretty runway color designs (I want ALL of them, especially the Spiked Moon Dust which I’m obsessed with!).
- Clean tasting. The water you put in it tastes pure since it’s glass. Even if you fill it with your filtered water, the taste is consistent.
- Small mouths
- Angled top that is ergonomically easy to carry and not droppable
- Easy to clean—you can put the entire thing in the dishwasher (top rack). They can also be washed by hand with hot soapy water and the bkr bottlebrush.
- Accessories include ice cube trays, brushes, etc.
- The middle size fits in my car’s cup holder—which I LOVE!
- Woman-owned company (they just recently celebrated their 7th birthday!)
What I don’t love about bkr water bottles (but can live with):
- They are pricey. But I’ve used mine for several months and I don’t go anywhere without it. So considering how many others I’d have bought in the same lifecycle time, my bkr water bottle probably ends up being a better value.
- My water doesn’t stay cold. But I’m kind of over that. The better tasting water has won me over.
- They are breakable yet pretty durable (made of soda-lime glass).
- Regular ice cubes and bottlebrushes won’t fit in them, but bkr sells ice cube trays and bottlebrushes in their accessories shop.
Other facts you should know about bkr water bottles:
- Don’t freeze them or leave them in your car in the freezing cold
- Don’t microwave them or expose them to sudden temperature changes (*it will break).
- They are not intended for boiling hot liquid.
*If you accidentally break it in the first 90 days, they will replace it!
Take a look at my “What I Love Wednesday: bkr Product Review” on my YouTube channel.
I HEART YOU BKR!
Follow bkr at:
and their fun Instagram